How To Start A WordPress Blog
How To Start A WordPress Blog With BlueHost.
DISCLOSURE: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, MEANING I GET A COMMISSION IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE A PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINKS, AT NO COST TO YOU.
Blogging is not something you should enter into lightly.
It takes time, commitment and planning if you want to become a blogger.
Blogging is a long term commitment so people should be prepared to put in the work.
This article will show you How To Start A WordPress Blog.
If you are looking to start a WordPress Blog with the minimum amount of money then the best option is to use BlueHost. BlueHost is an excellent company that has never caused me any problems.
Setting up a blog has given me the freedom to work from home and lets me work the hours I want whether that is early in the morning, during the day or late at night.
The choice is mine, I do not have to answer to anyone but myself.
How to set up a blog?
Anyone can create a blog and it is a perfect way to make money online whilst working for yourself. You can make the money you have paid for your blog in a few days.
You can start your blog with them today for less than a cup of coffee. but you will only get this discounted price if you use my link below.
As a special bonus, if you sign up with my Bluehost link above I will throw in a domain name for FREE if you sign up for 12 months or more. It will also save you a lot of money. Why not save yourself even more money and sign up for the 36 month plan? Remember, blogs are a great way to create an income for life so start on the right foot and sign up today.
Many people think think that they can start a blog for free. They could just start with something like blogger. That is a bad idea. Blogger does not give you control over your blog. They can turn it off any time they want. Another drawback with blogger is that they have to get their money from somewhere and they do this by showing THEIR ADVERTS on YOUR SITE. You have no control over this.
If you want to make money with your blog, the only adverts you want to show are the ones that YOU put there. This makes your site look more professional and will give you more authority.
Why you should use BlueHost?
Let’s look at some more reasons why you should use BlueHost for your WordPress blog.
- It is very easy to use. Bluehost make it easy to set up a WordPress blog.
- The web hosting company has a technical support area in case you have any difficulties setting up your WordPress blog.
- Bluehost offers cheap web hosting which makes it ideal for beginners who are on a tight budget. You can have your very own blog and the only expense you need to pay is the cheap web hosting.
- No need to buy a domain name. Getting a domain name can be expensive but you don’t have to worry about that with Bluehost because you get a domain name for FREE.
- A majority of websites these days use WordPress. Bluehost gives you a WordPress web site for FREE.
- Your web site will be self hosted. This means that you can monetise your web site and make an income from it. Being self hosted means that the only adverts or links on your web site are ones that you have put there.
- People who have self hosted web sites appear more professional to their readers, companies and followers. It shows you have faith in your company unlike those hosted on Blogger or Wix.
How To Start A WordPress Blog With BlueHost
Here Are The Steps You Need To Take.
1) Register Your Domain Name
Now just follow these easy steps to get your blog up and running.
The first thing you need to do when setting up a WordPress blog with BlueHost is to choose a suitable domain name. This can be one of the most difficult things to do. You have to think about what your blog is going to be about. Once you have decided on a domain name you cannot change it at a later date, so give this some serious thought.
A lot of people are trying to learn how to make money online. Getting a domain name with the keywords you want is not always possible. I could have chosen something like “How To Make Money Online 267” or something similar but it would not have been so unique.
A little tip
I played around with various combinations about teaching people how to set up a blog and make money and eventually came up with “Learn To Make Money“.
To save you time and money you can get your hosting and domain name in one place by click here. By taking out hosting for a year with Bluehost you are getting a domain name for FREE. There are slightly cheaper web hosting companies but they do not give you a free domain. You would have to sort that out for yourself and then work out how to link it to your hosting company. To make things even cheaper you can sign up for the 3 year plan with Bluehost. If you decide on the hosting and domain method just continue to the next step and get your domain name and hosting in one step.
For beginners on a small budget, the basic package is all you will need. You can always change it at a later date once your blog is up and running and making you money online.
As stated previously, the longer you buy the package, the more savings you will make and the more features you will get.
2) Buying Hosting For Your Blog.
Setting up a blog on BlueHost is very easy and cheap.
Let us look at the costs involved.
- Everyone starting a blog is concerned about the cost involved. The best way to get started is with the “Basic” plan which you can get if you click here. The price will vary depending on when you sign up and the exchange rate if you are signing up from outside the U.S. The cost also varies depending on how long you sign up for. The cheapest is the 36 month plan. This is due upfront in full. At the time of publishing that is only $2.75 a month. If you opt for the 24 month plan then that is $3.95 a month. If you decide on the 12 month plan the price is $4.95 a month. This is a great plan for beginners and remember you still get your FREE domain name. If you buy the 12 month plan the annual cost is only $59.
- The basic plan is all you really need to get started. It offers all you need to get your WordPress blog started. If you find you are enjoying blogging, which I am sure you will, you can always pay the difference at a later date to upgrade your plan.
- The internet can be a dangerous place. There are people trying to get hold of your information. It would be worth investing in some Domain Privacy Protection. This only costs $0.99 a month Not a lot to pay to give you peace of mind.
- Bluehost sells other products with their hosting but these are not really needed. I would therefore recommend you uncheck these boxes.
- If you sign up here for 12 months or more, you will get your FREE domain name.
When you are ready to start creating your blog just follow the simple steps below.
- Click on this BlueHost text and then click on the “Get Started” button.
- Click on the package that you are interested in.
- Now enter the domain name you registered with.
- Enter your personal information along with your payment information.
- Next you will be asked to choose a password. I would choose a random list of numbers and letters some of which are upper case. Make sure you keep the password somewhere safe away from your computer so that you always have access to it. This is very important.
3) Connecting Your Domain To Your Hosting
This step (Section 3) can be skipped if your bought your domain name directly through BlueHost.
If you bought your domain name from GoDaddy then you will have to connect your domain name to your hosting account.
4) Installing WordPress On BlueHost.
It is time to make the rubber meet the road. This is where you get to set up WordPress on BlueHost. The good news is that it is easy and FREE. Just follow the steps below.
- After you have created your password and stored it somewhere safe BlueHost guides you through every step of the process.
- You will first be asked to pick a theme for your blog. There are loads of different themes you can use. Some of them are FREE and some you have to pay for. Just scroll through the themes until you find one that suits what your blog is about. You can change your theme any time you like so this choice is not permanent.
- Next click on “Start Building“
- The next screen will ask you if your blog is Personal or Business. It is up to you which one you decide on. If you are confident that you know what you are doing then you can click on I Don’t Need Help.
Guess what? You have done it. That’s right. You now have a WordPress Blog. I told you it was easy.
Now it is up to you to start producing high quality content for your blog.
4) Tips For Navigating WordPress
- What is the difference between pages and posts? Understanding this can be a bit confusing to begin with. You might have started writing your blog with pages instead of posts. To help you out just click on this WordPress Beginners Guide.
- If you look on the left hand side of your blog screen you will see a menu with all the items you need. Many of these tabs have sub-menu which you get to by clicking on the main menu. It is worth playing around clicking on these tabs to get a feel for what they offer.
- If you want to choose a pre-made template for your site to make it look professional, the first thing you need to do is click on the appearance tab on the left hand menu and and after that click on themes. This will open up a new page and you can choose any theme you like. Some of these themes you will have to pay for but there are also a lot of FREE themes.
- You can add or create a new post or page by clicking on the appropriate tab in the side menu on the left hand side of the screen when you are logged in.
- If you want to add images to you posts or pages, just click on media and it will show you the options. The first time you add an image you will have to upload it and add it to the image library. It will be stored in the image library and then you can you use it any time in different posts or pages.
- How to add anything to the side bar of your blog. First click on Appearance. Next Widgets and it will take you through the process.
For More From My Blogging Series Please Read:
I hope you found this Tutorial on How To Start A WordPress Blog helpful.